May 15, 2012

Wow, I can't believe that its been almost two weeks since I last posted! I've been thinking about it almost every day, but I had wanted to wait until I uploaded my pictures from our Kentucky trip. That's probably not going to happen for a few more days so I guess the pictures will have to come later!

S and I drove up to Richmond over Derby weekend to visit his fam. Our original plan was to actually GO to Derby, but turns out we didn't plan very well and waited too long to get tickets. There were infield tickets available still, but we wanted a good Derby experience complete with actually being able to see the races so we decided to hold off until next year. It's too bad because I had the PERFECT Lilly dress to wear, but I guess I find somewhere else to wear it ;)

The dress.

We tried not to make too many plans for our Kentucky trip because we still wanted to get in some relaxation, however, we still ended up having a pretty busy trip. We arrived in Richmond late on Wednesday night then got up Thursday morning to head over to Toyota to pick up S's brand new Tacoma. That was exciting because now we had a car to drive around in on our own, since we had driven up in his brother's car with him and his girlfriend. That is a whooooole another story...

After picking up the truck, we hung out at his family's farm until S had to leave to go to an school award ceremony for his youngest brother, Joe, with his dad. Only two people were allowed to attend and since his mom and other brother, Dan, had gone the year before; it was now S's turn to go with his pops. I stayed behind and chatted with S's mom the whole time they were gone. It was good to get in some qt with her, I feel like we are still getting to know each other sometimes and the boys are always around so we never get to get in a good girl-talk.

Friday morning, we got up kind of early and headed out to Red River Gorge to go hiking. We hiked up to the natural bridge and took lots of pictures. I wish it hadn't been so overcast and rainy that day although if the sun had been out, we probably would have been roasting! S and I are both sensitive to heights so while it was nice to get up there and see the view and take pics, I was also relieved when it was time to head back down. After an early dinner on the way back, we got cleaned up and headed out to Joe's baseball game. This kid is a 14 year old 8th-grader and is already playing on the high school baseball team. Can't wait to see what the future has to hold for him!

On Saturday, we got up early again because we had a 8am tee-time to play 18 holes with S's Uncle Greg. We played at Gibson Bay, which is probably one of the nicest courses I've played at. I was pretty happy with how I played and S had the best game of his life. He is now dying to try and replecate that game haha. Later in the day, since we didn't end up going to Derby, we decided to celebrate it at home with a cookout, complete with mint juleps, and invited S's dad's brother and sister and their families. We had a great time, it was a beautiful day and we played with the horses, played croquet and just enjoyed each other's company. That night we had a bon fire out in the backyard and watched for the Super Moon.

Sunday was our last full day in the country and we headed up to Cynthiana, which was about an hour away from the farm. On the way, S and I stopped in Lexington for our usual stop to a Kentucky pride shop so we could pick up a couple UK souveniers (not like we don't have enough already, but can you ever really have enough?) We cooked out again, but this time it was with S's mom's parents and sister and brother and their families. His aunt and uncle have the cutest house, kind of log cabin-style, but not? I wish I took a couple pictures.. Again we just chilled out in the shaded yard chatting it up and enjoying everyone's company. I was a little nervous on the way up there because that was the first time that I had met S's maternal grandparents. I knew well in advance that they HATED his ex, with good reason of course, however, this just made me that much more nervous. I have a thing about S's family liking me because of his past situation. He reminds me often that they love me and I have nothing to worry about. Come to find out just yesterday, after a conversation with his mom, S brought up again how much his mom likes me. I guess that little chit-chat had just the effect that I wanted! I was hoping that it would bring us closer together.

Soooo, that pretty much sums up our trip in a not-so-nutshell. This past weekened, my aunt and uncle came to visit and we spent some time with them on Sunday. Besides my mom, this was the first time that S got to meet some of MY family for a change. It was just a preview because in 8 days we are flying to Connecticut and S will get to meet my entireeee family. I hope he's ready!!

I do have a few pictures that I took with my phone over the weekend -

Across the street from the family farm.
Kentucky hills.
 Gibson Bay Golf Course.

 The horses.

Heading home.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that dress!!

Blogging tips